PREP 35 min | COOK 25 min | SERVE 8
200g salted butter, softened, 2 tsp. vanilla extract,. 85g Golden Caster Sugar dusting, 3 tbsp, icing sugar, 8 red smarties, 16 white sweets or white chocolate buttons, Black writing icing tube
You will also need:
8 cellophane bags (15 x 25cm), 8 brown pipe cleaners, labels and
string or ribbon, 22-23cm round plate, cake tin or cardboard template use as guide
- Put the butter, vanilla and sugar in a big mixing bowl and stir together until smooth. Stir in the ground rice first, then the flour. Use hands to make a smooth dough.
- Line a baking sheet. Flatten dough into a disk in the middle of the parchment. Roll dough out to a big circle.
- Get your 22-23cm guides and place on top of the dough when you’ve rolled it big enough trim the edges to make a neat circle.
- Use a knife to mark the giant biscuit into 8 smaller wedge-shaped biscuits. Prick lines from the edge to the centre of the dough. Use the back of a fork to press all around the top of the circle along the edge to make a line pattern (Reindeer hair!)
- Cover with cling film and put tray in the fridge for 30 min. Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas. Cook the chilled shortbread for 25 mm until golden. Cool completely on the tray, then use a sharp knife to follow your marks and cut into 8 wedges.
- Mix the icing sugar with 1-2 tsp of water to make a thick icing. Use like glue and stick a Smarty on the pointy end of each biscuit to make red noses. Stick your white sweets 2cm in from the edge at the other end to be eyes. Use the black icing to add dots to the white eyes – let all the icing dry and go hard.
- Carefully put each biscuit in a cellophane bag. Twist the middle of a pipe cleaner in a loop around the top of the bag to enclose the biscuit. Now twist each end of the pipe cleaner so it looks like the reindeer’s antlers. Add labels and they are ready to give and eat.