Finding a Quality Child Care Service
At Kool Kidz, we know research shows that if a family is happy with their chosen childcare service their child is more likely to feel a sense of belonging and security within that service. It also shows that children learn and thrive best when happy and secure. At Kool Kidz we are committed to the best outcomes for all children. We also know that families want the best for their child so we created a Quality Child Care Checklist to support you in finding a high quality service just right for you and your child.
Does your child feel comfortable in their environment? You know your child better than anyone, so trust your instincts!
- Do you see happy and settled children engaged in activities?
- Does the educator team have experience, qualifications and appear enthusiastic?
- How long have the educators been at the service?
- Do the educators greet you and your child in a warm and friendly manner?
- Does the educational Philosophy provide what you are wanting for your child?
- Does the curriculum balance play and education appropriately?
- How are nutritional meals and drinks incorporated into your child’s day?
- Can you see a variety of learning experiences such as physical, cognitive, creative and social play?
- Is there a qualified Kindergarten Teacher at the service leading the educational programs?
- Can you see respectful interactions between the educators and children?
- Are the educators effectively supervising the children?
- Are the room groups developmentally and age appropriate?
Equipment and supplies
A well equipped service should be really easy to identify, especially when you are visiting other services!
- Is there a variety of stimulating equipment such as books, puzzles, dress ups etc?
- Does the equipment look like it is in good condition?
- Is there a variety of art and craft materials?
- Does the outside equipment meet Safety Standards?
- Has equipment and furniture used been designed to maximise comfort and learning?
- Are there regular checks to ensure equipment and furniture remains safe?
- What is provided for my child?
Cleanliness and Hygiene
Early Children’s Services are very busy environments with lots going on all the time; this means lots of mess ! Keeping one of these services clean at all times is a massive challenge, however this is critical!
- Is the service exceptionally clean both inside and out?
- Are there detailed hygiene practices for cleaning cots, mattress’s, bedding, nappy change mats etc?
- Are there Hand washing posters displayed in bathrooms?
- Are there regular cleaners for the service?
- What can I smell?
- Do the educators look clean and hygienic?
- Are pets maintained in a hygienic manner?
- Are there laundry facilities?
- Do management check that procedures are being followed?
The safety of your child is of the highest priority and should concern everybody all of the time!
- Do all entry points have a security system that controls access into the service?
- Can you see Emergency evacuation drawings displayed?
- Can you see Fire protection equipment such as hose reels and extinguishers?
- Do the rooms have adequate First Aid kits around the service?
- Are emergency numbers displayed near the telephones?
- Do all the staff and educators have regular background checks?
- Do all educators have appropriate First Aid training including Asthma and Anaphylaxis?
- Is there appropriate fencing around the service?
- Are there any obvious external threats in the immediate area?
- Is the equipment age and developmentally appropriate for safety?
- Are educators aware of safety hazards for all ages of children?
Your family and the service you choose are absolutely bound in delivering the best care and educational outcomes for your child!
- How welcome does your involvement in your child’s experience at the service feel?
- Will you receive written communications about your baby’s day?
- Can you contribute to your child’s learning plan?
- Are there regular Parent/Teacher meetings?
- Can I participate in the program at any time?
- Will I be included in reviewing the policies and procedures of the service?
- How will my feedback or complaints be followed up?
- How often can I communicate with my child’s educators?
Physical set up
The physical environment absolutely affects the service overall functionality and the delivery of quality outcomes for both staff and children!
- Do the age ranges of each room provide safety and security for my child?
- Is the temperature appropriate for the day?
- Is there enough room for the children to move around in inside and outside?
- Does the service feel well ventilated and bright?
- Are all areas easily identifiable?
- Is there a hand sanitiser at the entry for me and my child to use?