Is there anything more powerful than an exploding volcano? Our Kindergarten children got a wonderful opportunity to learn about all of the inner workings of a volcano.
Here are six fun facts about Volcanoes that you may not know:
1. There are three major kinds of volcanoes
• Shield volcanoes, Stratovolcanoes volcanoes and Cinder cone volcanoes
2. Volcanoes can be extinct, active or dormant
3. Volcanoes have the ability to grow quickly (a volcano in a Mexican cornfield grew 5 stories within a week and by the end of a year it had grown to more than 336 meters tall.)
4. The tallest volcano in the Solar System isn’t on Earth (The tallest volcano in the Solar System is on Mars. The volcano rises to an elevation of 27 km and it measures 550 km across. )
5. The tallest volcano on Earth is Hawaii’s Mauna Kea, with an elevation of 4,207 meters.
6. The word volcano originally comes from the name of the Roman god of fire, Vulcan.